- Yield : Makes 10 pancakes in a 20cm pan
- Basic Pancake Batter
- 110g plain flour (or 50g wholemeal and 60g plain flour)
- Pinch of salt
- 2 large Bord Bia Quality Assured eggs
- 200ml milk mixed with 75ml water
- 50g butter
- 3tbsp chopped fresh herbs
- Butter or sunflower oil for cooking.
Sieve the flour and salt into a large mixing bowl and add the chopped herbs
Melt the butter. Mix the eggs with melted butter, milk and water.
Make a well in the centre, pour in the liquids and whisk well, ensuring all flour lumps have disappeared.
Leave to stand for about 30 minutes.
Get your pan really hot, then turn down to medium. Add a little butter or oil, swirl it around and wipe excess off with kitchen paper.
Ladle in the batter, swirl it around and cook, it should only take half a minute. The pancake should be a nice golden brown colour on the underside.
Flip over and cook the other side.
Continue until all the batter is used up.
Some filling suggestions: Pesto, roasted red peppers and soft goats’ cheese Herby, lemony cream cheese, crème fraiche and smoked salmon (or smoked trout) BLT – chopped lettuce, smoked bacon and tomato with a wholegrain mustard dressing